Editor’s Note: Money Talks News has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Money Talks News and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
It’s starting to look like brighter days are ahead again for travel — masking requirements are loosening in many areas, and more countries are opening back up.
If you’re ready to fly again, some new credit card offers are worth a look. Southwest cards have brought back a favorite benefit: the Companion Pass, which allows a second person to fly with the cardholder for no additional airfare (although taxes and fees still apply). Once earned, you’ll be able to use it as often as you like through February 2023.
Normally, earning a Companion Pass requires 100 qualifying one-way flights or earning 125,000 qualifying points in a single calendar year. So you can see how extraordinary this offer is.
It’s the ultimate two-for-one deal, and it’s available through all three tiers of the card. Take a look and see if any of these cards would work for you:
Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Plus
Why we like it: Southwest’s Companion Pass is almost like a buy-one, get-one-free deal on flights, and for a limited time this card makes it much easier to earn — just spend $5,000 in the first three months and earn 30,000 points, plus a Companion Pass!
What to know:
- Earn a Companion Pass and 30,000 bonus points after spending $5,000 in the first three months.
- Get 3,000 bonus points each year for your cardholder anniversary.
- Get 2 points per $1 spent on Southwest flights.
- Get 2 points per $1 spent on transit and commuting.
- Get 2 points per $1 spent on internet, cable, phone service, and certain streaming purchases.
- Get 1 point per $1 spent on other purchases.
- $69 annual fee.
Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier
Why we like it: For a limited time, this card has the same introductory offer as the Rapid Rewards Plus card: Earn the Companion Pass through February 2023 when you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months your account is open. It also offers a higher annual bonus and has no foreign transaction fee.
What to know:
- Get Companion Pass through Feb. 28, 2023 plus 30,000 points when you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months. Companion Pass lets you bring a designated friend along on a flight without paying a second fare.
- Get 6,000 bonus points each year for your cardholder anniversary.