pasja1000 / Pixabay
Most of us understand how getting a mortgage can help us to purchase a home. We use our personal funds (usually 20% of the purchase price) as a down payment and then obtain a mortgage loan with a bank or financial institution for the remaining 80% of the purchase price. The mortgage rate is based on current interest rate levels – there are fixed rate loans that can be for 10, 15, or 30 years, or you may choose an interest-only loan with a floating rate that can start low and increase if interest rates go up and decrease if interest rates go down.
Get The Full Henry Singleton Series in PDF
Get the entire 4-part series on Henry Singleton in PDF. Save it to your desktop, read it on your tablet, or email to your colleagues
Q4 2021 hedge fund letters, conferences and more
Commodity Hedge Funds Jump As Prices Surge
Prior to 2021, commodity hedge funds were struggling with poor returns and a lack of investor interest. That all changed in 2021. Rising commodity prices thanks to the renewable energy transition, and a lack of supply, helped commodity-focused hedge funds report a robust performance in 2021. Commodity funds roar back The Bridge Alternatives Commodity Hedge Read More
What Is A Margin Loan?
Buying on margin occurs when an investor buys the home using securities in their investment account as collateral for the loan. They are leveraging the securities that they own to get the cash they need. Like other loans, a margin loan has interest that must be paid.
Your margin loan is based on the value of the assets in your account and margin accounts require that the value of the portfolio is kept at a certain percentage of marginable assets. Typically, investment firms permit loans of up to 50% of the portfolio’s value at the time the loan is originated. Not all stocks qualify to be bought on margin, though. The Fed (Federal Reserve Board) regulates which stocks are marginable. Generally, all domestic bonds and listed company stocks are marginable. The money can be used for almost anything, including bridge financing, which is when a buyer needs money to close on a new home and the current home has not yet been sold.
Cons of Buying on Margin
Markets, especially stocks, fluctuate in value. Because of the leverage, gains and losses will be larger in the account. In the event of a market drop and consequent loss in the value of the securities in the account, if the account drops below a …….