Hammond, Ind. — The Saginaw Valley State University baseball team concluded their Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference opening series with Purdue Northwest on Sunday afternoon. The series was affected by weather all weekend, as two games were suspended and completed later in the weekend.
SVSU earned the four-game sweep over the hosts, moving their record to 12-8 overall and 4-0 in GLIAC play.
Game Breakdown (Friday-Saturday):
- Game two of the series began on Friday after the Cardinals won the first game of the series 6-5 in seven innings.
- SVSU scored five runs in the top of the third inning, beginning with Todd Paperd’s bases-loaded walk to make it 1-0 and score Connor McClennen. A Tucker Roe sacrifice fly made it 2-0 before back-to-back RBI singles by Jeffrey Reseigh and Andrew Burke made it 4-0.
- The Cardinals added one more run in the top of the third on an error by PNW, allowing Reseigh to score and make the score 5-0.
- The Pride responded with three runs in the bottom of the third, before the game was suspended due to weather heading into the top of the fourth with SVSU holding a 5-3 lead.
- On Saturday, the game resumed in the top of the fourth and the Cardinals added three runs and extended their lead. Roe hit an RBI triple down the right-field line that scored Paperd and Martin Money. Roe later came across the plate thanks to a sacrifice fly by Austin Schweiger.
- A passed ball in the bottom of the fourth inning allowed PNW to get a run back and make the score 8-4.
- SVSU responded with three runs in the top of the fifth. Paperd brought home Hayden Jatczak with an RBI single, an error by the Pride allowed Martin Money to score, and Schweiger brought Paperd across the plate with an RBI single.
- The Cardinals weren’t done, as they added two more runs in the top of the sixth thanks to back-to-back RBI doubles by Hayden Jatczak and Martin Money, making the score 13-4 SVSU.
- Purdue Northwest didn’t go away, however, as they scored seven runs in the bottom of the seventh, and one in the bottom of the eighth to cut the lead to just one run heading into the ninth inning.
- SVSU added four runs in the top of the ninth, as Reed Raymond brought home Tucker Roe with an RBI before McClennen and Jatczak hit RBI triples to extend the lead to 17-12.
- In the bottom of the ninth, the Cardinals held off the Pride and earned the victory.
- On the mound JJ Arbini got the start …….