Another night, same nagging question: “What to make for dinner?”
It may not sound like a big deal, but cooking can be a major stressor for those most often charged with the task. Adding to the stress are the financial factors — inflation is out of control and the cost of food is soaring. On top of that, the pandemic refuses to fade away, so more people continue to stay home and make their own meals.
See: Costly Mistakes People Make While Grocery Shopping
Be Aware: 40 Supermarket Buys That Are a Waste of Money
With all that in mind, we really, really just need dinner to be as simple, affordable and painless as it can be. Is that too much to ask? It certainly is not, and you’re one step ahead if you’re one of the many who have added an air fryer to their kitchen in recent months. Check out these nine foodie-recommended air fryer recipes — all of which fit a budget of $10 or less.
Mexican-Style Stuffed Chicken Breast
Approximate Cost: $8
- 2 extra-long toothpicks
- ½ tablespoon and ½ teaspoon chilli powder, divided
- ½ tablespoon and ½ teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- ½ skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon chipotle flakes
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- ¼ onion, sliced into thin strips
- ½ fresh jalapeno pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon corn oil
- ¼ lime, juiced
- Soak your long skewer sticks.
- Add 2 teaspoons of cumin and chilli powder each in a dish.
- Preheat the air fryer model at 200 degrees C (400 degrees F).
- Slice the chicken breast from the centre into two pieces.
- Pound each chicken fillet with a mallet to about ¼ inch thickness.
- Begin to sprinkle each piece of chicken with leftover chilli powder, cumin, chipotle flakes, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Divide the vegetables (bell pepper, onions, and jalapeno) into two halves for each chicken breast.
- Roll them in the fillet from the tapered end and secure them with skewers.
- Cover each chicken with the chilli-cumin mixture in the dish with olive oil.
- Place them in the air fryer for 6 minutes with the skewer side up.
- Check the center by inserting a thermometer in the fillet roll. It should read at least 74 degrees C for complete cooking.
- Serve with lime and tortilla wraps.
Submitted By: Melissa Collins, …….